Take Action! Demand Biden administration halt the deportations of Haitians at the border and allow asylum for Haitian refugees!
We must demand the Biden administration uphold asylum law and immediately halt deportations of Haitian and other migrants seeking refuge at the U.S. border!
Happening now! The Biden administration has resumed deportation flights to Haiti as thousands of Haitian migrants desperately seek asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border. The National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (NNIRR) is appalled that the Administration has chosen to deport people escaping political unrest, a devastating earthquake, and a recent tropical storm that has exacerbated already dire humanitarian conditions.
The current situation at the camps at the Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña border is tragic and unacceptable. Almost 10,000 asylum seekers are currently stranded under a bridge in Del Rio, Texas.
Many, including children, are in urgent need of medical attention. Deporting people to life-threatening situations is a clear violation of the 1951 Refugee Convention, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, and other human rights laws. Despite the dangerous consequences of returning migrants to Haiti, the Biden administration has continued the same approach as its predecessor Trump, using the CDC’s racist Title 42 order to expel primarily Black and Indigenous people from the United States, despite a federal judge ruling last week that Title 42 is unlawful.
On August 3, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) acknowledged the precarious situation in Haiti and renewed Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haitians in the U.S. It is unconscionable for the Biden administration to now ignore this crisis and resume deportations at this juncture — and an even more egregious violation of due process rights to refuse entry and deny asylum processing to asylum seekers at the border.
Demand the Biden administration stop the deportation flights!
- Email and tweet the White House and tell them to stop the deportation of people seeking asylum at the border. Demand the administration upholds human rights and due process!
- Email and tweet your Congress members — urge them to demand the Biden administration stop the deportations and put an end to Title 42.
- Send a direct tweet or post on social media. Handles to tag: @POTUS @VP @SecMayorkas
- Renewing deportation flights to Haiti is morally indefensible. We would have expected this from Trump, not the Biden administration. These deportation flights must stop! #StopHaitianDeportations #BlackMigrantsLivesMatter
- It is unconscionable for Biden to resume deportation flights to Haiti, when the country is facing ongoing political, economic, and environmental disasters! Stop these flights now and #StopHaitianDeportations